Family law during the holidays may seem to slow down because of all the holidays and court closures. But many law firms struggle to meet the emotional demands of their clients. As legal professional we forget how emotionally draining the holidays can be for clients dealing with divorce, separation, and children exchanges.
Tips for managing client emotions and expectations for family law during the holidays.
- Write a blog article with tips about the do and do not for out-of-state travel with children.
- Have meeting with your paralegals and associate lawyers to discuss the custody agreements for the firm’s emotionally strung clientele. Then divide your cases among your team. Each team member should be authorized to answers client questions relating to custody issues. Remember your paralegals can’t provide legal advice – Plan ahead create a script or Q&A response plan for your paralegals!
- Remind clients when your office is closed for the holidays. You should consider developing a plan for managing any emergencies. You should notify clients through a variety of channels, i.e. social media, out of office replies, and voicemail recordings.
- Again, you may want to remind clients to discuss their plans with the opposing party. You may need to write a letter to a handful of opposing parties outlining your clients’ preferred holiday schedule.
- Ask your client to decide on a minimum of two proposed holiday schedules for each holiday event.
- Consider asking clients to create an exchange calendar using Google or the Calendar app of your choice, for ease of sharing parenting schedules.
THE SECOND SCHEDULE SHOULD BE HIS OR HER ALTERNATE CHOICE. DEVELOPING MORE THAN TWO SCHEDULES PER EVENT WILL MAKE THE PROCESS TOO IN DEPTH.
The purpose of our tips
The purpose of our tips are to help you predict your clients’ questions, emotional triggers, and your best answers. After implementing our tips, you will be able to manage a lot of the common issues, which come up in family law during the holidays.
If you need help managing family law cases this holiday season, please do not hesitate to contact our paralegal team at Best Virtual Paralegal, LLC.
We are here to provide you with paralegal help for a wide range of family law matters, including child custody and child support payments. Reach out to us by phone or text to set up your free consultation! Call (717) 747-3588 to set up a free consultation. We offer both hourly and flat fee billing options.